Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Christmas Lights on the Water



Christmas Lights on the Water

The match that lights your eyes tonight
Still glows,
So when the beams between your gaze and mine
Snap into place,
You kindle an ember in the window to my soul:
I burn a little brighter
Like the Christmas lights on the water.
We’re wrapped in night,
The chasm closed
So while I count the inches between your skin and mine,
I wonder if you sense the pounding veins
That tether my heart to you,
Because when I will those inches away
You take my hand.
Beside you I may stand strong
Yet I stand on an Achilles heel
Weakening with every step put between us and the dancing lights on the lake;
And somewhere in your quiver waits the arrow that will tear me,
But you haven’t drawn the string yet.
My dormant heart begins to hum,
So tonight I polish my highest hopes to a brilliant shine
And put them on display for you
Like the Christmas lights on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment